Ghosts In The Philippines

The globe is stuffed with strange and unknowable things. Ghosts and goblins,the walking dead...choose there's plenty of it around to discover.

My Brother-In-Law's Ghost

The first time I came to the Philippines was in 1992 or 3, right after my wife's brother was killed in an accident at his workplace. It was the first time her family had been together in twelve years. The reunion was a happy one even though the passing of her brother added a sad note. One evening we were sitting in the family room where people were singing,laughing and enjoying this long awaited reunion. Family members were thanking me for bringing their "Nene" home to visit. There had been several mentions and memories shared about her brother. I was sitting in an easy chair some three feet away from anyone, enjoying the music, when I felt a squeeze on the back of my neck. I turned, but there was nobody there, only the wall. I shivered slightly and continued to enjoy the music. A short time later, I felt that squeeze again and this time I felt someone squeeze my leg, as if someone had just sat down on the arm of the chair. I turned to my wife, who was sitting on the other side of me, and told her that I felt that her brother was at the celebration. I told her about both instances and she told me that she had experienced the same thing but was afraid to say anything for fear of starting everyone crying again. She wasn't alone with that thought. Since I told her of my encounter she decided to tell the story to her family anyway. They took it quite well. They told her that he had looked forward to seeing her so much the many years she had been gone. He was only a young child when she left home. Was the ghost of my brother-in-law at the reunion? Was he also showing me his gratitude for bringing his "Nene" home? It was real to me. The family believed it. I was a guest. Who was I to spoil the happy reunion?

Special Guests At My Wife's Birthday Dinner.

During the next several years we lost a few more members of my wife's side of the family. The brother just younger than her had been ill with his liver and lungs for several years. He passed shortly after we had returned to America. A few years later another brother died in a workplace accident. While he was working with some electrictal wiring, some one handed him a live wire while he was standing some water and he was electrocuted. Her father died shortly after that from complications of diabetes. Her mother, I believe, died of pure heart sorrow from watching her children and husband die one at a time. My wife was a surviving twin. Her twin sister died at birth. When we retired we moved to the Philippines so my wife could be with her family. She had been in America for 31 years and had only visited her family once in all that time.

Her birthday in December 2010 was the first time she had celebrated with her family since 1979. Everyone in her immediate family had been present at that 1979 gathering.

The weather was very hot on the day we had set for the dinner not even a breeze could be whistled up. Everybody was walking around the yard fanning themselves. The reason I am dwelling on it being so hot is this. When the pig was finished roasting and it was time to eat one of the guests was asked to ask the blessing for the gathering of family and the food that had been prepared. During the blessing he mentioned the famly members who had already passed. While the amens were being said, there came the coolest breeze through the gathering and around the table that lasted only a few seconds, then it was gone. I said "The rest of the family just arrived". The temperature stayed comfortable during the rest of the dinner. Indeed it seemed that there were some very special guests at that birthday dinner.

A Visit From My Mother-In-Law?

Several days after the birthday dinner I was standing by the door to my office when a lady wearing a dress of white with blue flowers walked by. I looked out the door both ways and did not see where she had gone. I thought maybe she went into the next bedroom. I called my wife and asked her who the lady was and where did she go. She asked me, "What lady?" We looked in the bedroom that I thought she had gone into. The room was empty. We asked the few other people who were in the house at the time if they knew who it was. Nobody had seen her, nor did they know who it could have been. As you might imagine, I began to get a few strange looks from the people standing there. Looks that ask the question,"Has he had too much sun?". A little later on that day, one of the brothers said that their mama once had a dress like I had described. Could it have been her? A neighbor joined in with another account of someone else who had lived in that house previously having seen the lady I described. I had been vindicated. Was the lady in the print dress my Mother-in-law? We'll probably never know. I say probably because we don't know any more about what the future holds for us than we know what the present holds for the deceased.

There are many stories that have been told to me of ghosts in the Philippines. Perhaps one day I wiil gather them and put them in a hub or two.

Ghosts In The Philippines?

The Philippines is made up of over 7000 small islands. Over the many years since Magellan stopped here, this tiny group of islands has been ravaged by war many times. It has also been plagued with many murders by past corrupt officials, militia groups and other individuals hungry for power and control. To say that there are no ghosts here would be denying justice for the murdered masses.

The Republic of the Philippines is a beautiful country filled with wonderfully warm people. It is hard to believe that, through all the past miseries, the Filipinos could remain to be such friendly, caring human beings, but they have.

It is not hard to believe that their would be ghosts, spirits, entities or whatever word you want to use in the description. Today is October 31, 2011. Perhaps, tonight, we might be able to ask some of them what they prefer to be called. Happy Halloween!

My real name is Hubert Williams. I write stories about life, death, ghosts, making family, religion, politics and just about anything that I think will be useful, entertaining or helpful. Read more of my stories here and enjoy http://hubertsvoice.hubpages.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Hubert_A._Williams
http://EzineArticles.com/?Ghosts-In-The-Philippines&id=6662544

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Revelations of Sharula Dux Princess of Telos

Human vs Reptilians - by Azael

Satan Leader of the Rebellion in Heaven